The family of Nancy Worrell, the woman who was killed with her four grandchildren in a Baltimore house fire in 2012, have sued her landlord. The Baltimore Housing Authority, which manages the Section 8 program the family was in, was also named in the lawsuit.
Building manager Paul Stanto is accused of not repairing a faulty furnace that lead to the fire. It is also alleged he did not provide working smoke detectors that could have saved the family. Providing smoke detectors is mandated by many State’s building codes.
Several family members were able to escape from the fast spreading two alarm fire. Wilson Worrell, the husband of decased Nancy Worrell, was forced to jump from a second floor window, suffering a broken back and burns. A four month old was also throw from the second story to a relative below.
Fires and other accidents happen. Running a sound maintenance and inspection program is the first line of defense to prevent disaster. Ensuring your insurance coverage is adequate in the event that injuries and property damage do occur is the second priority. Working with BuildingManagerInsurance.com ensures you have the most comprehensive coverage at the lowest possible price. Contact us to discuss ways to improve your insurance program.